RMU’s Derrick Griffin shares the stage with Chai Tulani & Wyclef Jean

Derrick Griffin is a tenor saxophone player born and raised in Oak Park, IL.  Coming from a non-traditional music background, he is inspired by his father who always plays smooth jazz around the house. Derrick started on alto saxophone at the age of 9 but has focused primarily on jazz for the last 10 years. He currently attends Robert Morris University Illinois majoring in Business Administration and is a tenor saxophone player for the RMU Jazz Ensemble. His passion for music is fueled by some of his favorite mainstream artists including Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, and Joey Badass.

“RMU has blessed me with the opportunity to have a true balance between keeping music in my life as well as studying what I want to do as a career. As a business major, I have always had an entrepreneurial mindset and I knew that I wanted to be versatile with whatever it is that I pursue in life.”

For the last 6 months, Derrick has become an independent saxophonist for several artists across the Chicagoland area and has performed in various live shows and recording sessions. He will be finishing his degree this fall.

To learn more about Derrick’s story check out the video below:

Leave A Comment