A surgical technologist is a medical professional who will assist a surgeon during an operation. In order to become a surgical technologist, you will need to go through a program or series of programs that will award a diploma, certificate, or associate’s degree. Although it’s worth mentioning here that you are not actually legally required to be certified as a surgical technologist, certification makes you a much more attractive candidate.

What you need in order to become a surgical technologist

In order to work as a surgical technologist, you will need to develop or have an inclination towards a certain skill set. Surgical technologists are part of a surgery team, so being able to communicate well and work in conjunction with others are a couple of the crucial skills you will need to develop. You will then need to be able to pay attention to details since the operating room is filled with equipment and various sources of information. Manual dexterity is, of course, another plus since assisting during surgery is all about your ability to finely operate equipment. Finally, you will need to develop a knack for detecting problems early through various social and environmental cues. This ability will allow you to react quickly in highly stressful situations and prevent potentially dangerous events from occurring.

The surgical technology programs that will help you build a more attractive resume

To start, you will need a high school education or a GED in order to be able to attend a university. You then have the option of enrolling in a post-secondary accredited training program in college, or, if you are not able to afford the tuition, you can opt for military training, where you will go through 8 weeks of basic training, followed by specialized courses that may vary in length. If you go with the more traditional route and earn your Associate’s degree, you will typically spend anywhere from 13 to 24 months in the program.

During your education, you can increase your attractiveness as a job candidate by taking internships or participating in hands-on programs where you will gain practical experience and develop connections within the industry. Then, once you’ve graduated, you will need to go through a national certification exam that is either mandatory for the position or that will greatly increase your prospects of finding a paid position right out the gate.

Once you are finished with your studies and certification exams, you will be in a position to join the job market and find an entry-level position. Around 70% of surgical technology graduates work in hospitals, while the other 30% work in private practices and dental offices. All in all, from the time you enroll into college to the time you enter the workforce, you will spend around 2 to 2.5 years on your education, which makes this career very appealing for most people.

Are you interested in enrolling in a surgical technology program in Chicago?

If you are looking to attend surgical tech programs in Chicago, contact us today. At Robert Morris University, we have a variety of courses that have been designed to enhance your marketability. Surgical technology can turn into a career that is quickly accessible to graduates that have earned an Associate’s degree, and in a metropolitan area like Chicago, the opportunities for employment are numerous and better paid on average. We recommend browsing our site for more information, or talking to one of our representatives directly.